If you get into a severe car accident in Virginia Beach, VA, there are several steps you should take to protect yourself and your interests:
- First and foremost, make sure everyone involved in the accident is okay and call 911.
- Move your vehicle to a safe place out of traffic and turn on your hazard lights.
- Exchange information with the other driver, including names, contact information, insurance information, and license plate numbers. It would help if you also noted the other vehicle’s make, model, and color.
- Take photos of the accident scene, including any damage to your vehicle, the other vehicle(s), and any damaged property. Also, take pictures of any injuries you sustained.
- When the police arrive on the scene, tell them what happened, but do not admit fault. Stick to the facts and do not speculate.
- Contact your insurance carrier to report the accident. Moreover, provide your insurance carrier with the information you gathered. Your insurance company will likely want to send an adjuster to inspect your vehicle and assess the damage.
- If you were injured in the accident, speak with a personal injury attorney before giving any statements to insurance companies or signing any settlement agreements and/or releases for records. A personal injury attorney can help protect your rights and ensure you receive fair compensation for your injuries.
In summary, the proper steps to protect yourself after a severe car accident in Virginia Beach, VA are to make sure everyone is okay, call 911, exchange information with the other driver, take photos of the scene and any injuries, contact your insurance company, and speak with a personal injury attorney if you were injured.
Click here for Frequently Asked Questions about auto accidents, personal injury, and more. For a personal injury attorney, don’t hesitate to contact us at (757) 486-2700.
About Preston, Wilson & Crandley, PLC
You may be entitled to financial compensation if you have been injured due to another driver’s carelessness. Our firm’s typical personal injury cases involve automobile accident injuries and premises injuries, ranging from minor fender benders to catastrophic injuries. Our firm has been representing the people of Hampton Roads in auto accident and other injury cases since 1955. If you have been hurt in a car accident due to someone else’s negligence, give us a call, and put our experience to work for you.
For a Personal Injury Attorney, please get in touch with us at (757) 486-2700.
Follow us on Facebook.